Today marks the 10 year anniversary of the "Attack on America". On September 11, 2001 around 7:15 AM my mom was taking me to school. As we approached Timpanogos I heard a report about a plane crashing, at this point I didn't realize what was really happening. My first thoughts were of sympathy for the families of those on the plane, because they were going through something that I had been through, losing a close family member in a plane crash. I just wanted to go and give all of the little kids who had parents on the plane a hug and tell them everything was going to be okay. I didn't realize that this was much bigger than just a plane crash. I remember that I had math first period, and as I got in the classroom the TV was on and showing a tall building crumbling after being hit by an airplane. I remember that in most of my classes that day the TV was on and we were talking about what happened. In Seminary we turned off the TV's and prayed for those who were involved and their families. Our teachers all told us that this was going to be a big part of history. It was going to be an event that our kids and grandkids would read about in textbooks, and ask us where we were on September 11, 2001.
On that tragic day it was good to see heros emerge. My favorite story from that day is the passenger who called home to tell his wife he loved her, and then went and tried to take over the plane. I am grateful for all the firefighters, policeman and others who spent that tragic day finding survivors and doing all they could. I am grateful for those who are fighting for our country today.
Where were you when the world stopped turning on that September Day?
1 comment:
Your "story" is very similar to mine. Probably because we were in the same grade, at the same school, and probably had a class together too. My first period was Child Care 1. I remember the TVs being turned off in Seminary too, and our teacher just talking to us of spiritual things, which was nice.
Post a Comment